Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Reducing Power Demands

My first upgrade was to order LED lights for the interior.

LED use 1/5 to 1/10 the power of typical lamps.  I can now put on every interior lamp in my camper and use the same amount of power as one of my old lamps.

I choose 5000 degree LED's.  These are not a warm as the old lamps, but I don't find them unpleasant.  I like the bright light and now I can put on several for more even illumination.

It would be nice if I can find a double pole switch to allow me to choose either one or two lamps per fixture. I find the light is quite bright with two lamps in each fixture.  I can see using only one lamp to conserve still more power.  It would be great if I could find a switch sized like this one. I will need four of these.



I want to install two small LED night lights.  I want these to be extremely low power draw and dim--just bright enough to see a dog laying on the floor at night.  I've found some interesting marine products that might be suitable.

I still need to replace the stove lamp with an LED and I want to add a few ultra low power night lights.

I plan to replace all of the exterior lamps on my camper, and pickup truck with LED, and change the flasher to accommodate these.  Given the large number of lamps, and the associated power draw, I am hoping to save 1/2 mile per gallon on fuel with less drag on my alternator.

The next biggest power consumer, is my furnace. I decided to keep it as it and make not changes to it.



No comments:

Post a Comment