Saturday, May 17, 2014

Compressor Type Refrigeration

The principal type of refrigeration used in an RV is propane for off grid, and AC for campgrounds, and some use DC to keep it cool while traveling.

I have a propane and gas type fridge.  My solar panels and batteries are working out so well that I occasionally use my inverter to run it off AC during sunny days when my batteries are fully charged. 


I am confident that if I substituted an efficient compressor type fridge I could run it entirely off DC electric and save on propane.  At present, it seems foolish to remove a good working refrigerator and replace it with an expensive one.  At some point I may do this.

Another option for me is to add an Engle Freezer which runs off of a DC compressor.  I want more freezer capacity, so this seems like the way to go in the short term.  I have one locker that is a good size for small Engle.  So I will probably buy one after all the other core issues are addressed on my camper. 

At present I only have a few more things I want to add to the camper.

1)  Repair my jacks--cheap part, but I'm not sure how to fix this yet.
2)  Repair my hot water heater--circuit board due in on Monday.
3)  Adding Air Conditioning for when I have a place to plug in.
4)  Making a few minor wiring changes.

Future ideas to reduce propane needs:
5) Solar Hot Water Panel
6) Compresser Freezer
7) Compressor Fridge/Freezer replacement
8) Diesel heater with circulation fans for basement.

No comments:

Post a Comment